Accidents happen and having a microchip inserted into your companion animal is yet another way to ensure his/her safe return in case something unexpected happens. Here are the stats on the benefits of microchips, courtesy of PetFinder and FurKeeps:
- 52.2% of microchipped dogs are returned to their owners, versus 21.9% overall (238% better with a microchip!).
- 38.5% of microchipped cats are returned to their owners, versus 1.8% overall (over 2000% better with a microchip!).
- Fewer than 2% of all stray dogs and cats in shelters have microchips.
- Lost pets who had a microchip were reunited with their families in almost three out of four cases.
- 35% of microchipped pets who were not reconnected with their families remained in shelters because their the owner had not maintained the information on the chip (e.g. incorrect or disconnected phone number).
To learn more about microchips, click HERE. Tweet